Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Winging It

After deliberating for several days on how to start this blog off on the right foot I came to the conclusion that I would begin in true American fashion by using a time-tested approach that has served me well in my 21 years of life--by winging it.

Like every man that enjoys drinking beer has probably thought about at one time or another, I want to start my own brewery. While pursuing a Masters degree I am currently researching, planning, and dreaming all things beer during much of my spare time. This obsession has led to a new hobby I have adopted over the past year which will hopefully help me in my quest to open a brewery: Homebrewing. Two weeks ago I started brewing a Honey Wheat Ale recipe that I got from Alternative Beverage in Charlotte.

Tomorrow is bottling day and after a few days of aging and letting the priming sugar carbonate the beer it should be ready to drink. As you can see in the picture, the beer is currently still sitting in the glass carboy in a dark corner of my living room (I turned the flash on my BlackBerry for the picture).

I will provide an update hopefully tomorrow once the bottling is complete. Until then I encourage everyone who does not already brew their own beer to do so. It is a fun, educational experience and hobby that has tangible and delicious results.

No comments:

Post a Comment